Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Consulting-The Board Room Experience


Recently, I was at the Board Room of one of Nigeria’s leading retail Bank having a session with the members of the Executive Management (EMs) of the Bank. Of course, the MD and his subordinates were present at the session or else, why would I be there lounging in the aristocratic built room with ceramic and glass plated table? The chairs were so comfy to sit on -it was custom-made for my bum. And yes! I was served tea. Though, I would have preferred coffee with lots of cream and sweeteners.

Anyways, (donning my reality cap); rubbing shoulders with the members of EMs of organizations – having chit-chat with them might count as a no big-deal to you. To me, it is a ‘biggie (catch phrase used by my team lead). If you have been fortunate to work in an organization where you join at the lowest cadre and have to walk and talk your way up to the EMs cadre, you’ll appreciate this feeling.

Going into the Board Room as a very junior staff in one of the country’s leading institutional and now a leading commercial and retail Bank is like walking into the lion’s den. As far as I know, as a junior staff, there is only one reason that can bring you to the Board Room: A report to your Group Head. Mind you, you don’t even get to enter the Board Room lest you turn the focal point of attention and shredding. Yes shredding! Reprimanding! Only that reprimanding is an under-statement. No matter what, the report must get to your Group Head by any other means asides from entering. The other reason which we gag ourselves with that can take you to the Board Room is: ‘to serve tea’.

Nowadays, even if the session didn’t go as planned at the Board Room, it still feels so good to be served tea rather than to serve tea. Makes me thinking…
...Digital Jewels is the place to work at.

By: eeNDee (A guest blogger at Truth_Hurts)

1 comment:

  1. i have also been in a elevator before..leave shakara

    ReplyDelete